Valid Until: 2nd December 2019
Job Type: Full Time
Company Name: One Acre Fund
Job Title: Global Data Analyst
One Acre Fund
Global Data Analyst
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Seeking a passionate and analytically-minded professional with strong communication skills to drive high-quality research design and data analysis across One Acre Fund.
About One Acre Fund: Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly.
We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
From research to sales to strategy to operations, the Global Data Analyst has the unique opportunity to improve decision-making across all aspects of One Acre Fund’s program using many diverse data types, such as sales, yield, demographic and satellite data, to enable us to reach more farmers with greater impact.
The Global Data Analyst will help expand our program to over one million farmers by executing analyses for strategic decision-making on repayment, expansion, and other business functions, and work directly with program leaders to interpret results and make data-driven decisions. The Global Data Analyst will play an integral role in shaping One Acre Fund’s data strategy, including dreaming up and executing new ways to use our data to improve our program.
Additionally, One Acre Fund has a robust agronomic and socioeconomic research program spanning all countries of operation. This role will work closely with country research teams to ensure all trials are executed at the highest possible standards, provide follow-up analytical support and training to team members, and support with warehousing of our agronomic data to make our research outputs accessible to external collaborators, further increasing One Acre Fund’s smallholder farmer impact across the continent.
To succeed in this role, you will need to be a strong communicator and have a solid analytical background with experience in experimental design. You will need to be comfortable interpreting ambiguous results generated with imperfect data, and advising leaders on relative risk associated with different decisions based on the results of your analysis.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Formulate, execute, and interpret rigorous analyses for strategic program decisions (40%). Examples of recent work include:
- Use unsupervised machine learning methods to define zones for crop insurance in Malawi.
- Working with the Kenya program to create a new data-driven expansion strategy to reach tens of thousands of new farmers in 2020.
- Analyzing the relationship between farmer compliance with our agronomic recommendations and yield outcomes in Rwanda to prioritize trainings to increase program impact.
- Identify new ways to use our data to drive program reach and impact.
- Manage pipeline of projects and prioritize according to greatest impact.
Provide ongoing support to R&D teams (30%):
- Improve analytical quality through mentoring junior analysts, reviewing analyses, and creating new training materials.
- Drive trial design and analysis quality through internal trial review board.
- Enforce compliance with data quality control protocols and advise on new data quality improvements.
Lead impact data management and support with external partner data requests (30%):
- Work closely with the Business Intelligence team to standardize previous yield and agronomic practice data in order to make data accessible to the external research community.
- Support knowledge management by curating historical One Acre Fund trial data and analyses and disseminating results, methodologies, sample sizes, etc. to teams running similar trials.
- Manage relationship between internal One Acre Fund country teams and external research partners.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2-3+ year(s) of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong, relevant quantitative work experiences, including translating results to external, non-analytical audiences.
- Former research assistants and business or financial analysts are encouraged to apply.
- Prior experience with experimental and quasi-experimental trial design and analysis, model specification, exploratory data analysis, and data visualization.
- Prior experience working in managing external/internal relationships by prioritizing projects and building consensus with different stakeholders.
- Advanced proficiency in R. Must be comfortable cleaning data, executing statistical analyses in R, and using R Markdown. Additional experience in using R for geo-spatial data analysis preferred.
- Ability to easily explain technical concepts to non-technical decision makers and grow the analytical skills of others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- Degree in the fields of economics, econometrics, mathematics or statistics preferred.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible.
Job Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Duration: Full-time job.
Benefits: Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes, for Kigali, Rwanda. Must have existing rights to work in Kenya to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application link: https://grnh.se/05c556011
Closing date: December 1st, 2019
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.