Company Name: National Museum Of Kenya
Job Type: Full Time
The National Museums of Kenya (NMK) is a state corporation established by an Act of Parliament, the National Museums and Heritage Act, 2006 No. 6 of 2006. NMK is a multi-disciplinary institution whose role is to collect, preserve, study, document and present Kenya’s past and present cultural and natural heritage. This is for the purposes of enhancing knowledge, appreciation, respect and sustainable utilization of these resources for the benefit of Kenya and the world, for now and posterity.
Reporting to Director General and working in collaboration with other directorates, the position holder shall contribute to the formulation and implementation of overall NMK Research policies and strategic planning.This entails:-
- Implementation and co-ordination of the programmes and activities of a large multi-disciplinary research team and advising the Director General on their progress;
- Monitoring performance and evaluating staff and team working in the Directorate;
- Administering and allocating resources from the Directorate’s budgets to departments, and overseeing expenditure;
- Promoting National/international institutional partnership with relevant research institution, government departments and stakeholders;
- Ensuring effective internal communication flow of information within the Directorate and with other Directorates.
The officer will also be required to: – liaise with collaborating institutions, and local and international donor agencies on research issues; planning and control human, financial and material resources; represent the Directorate in top management meetings; and liaise with Director of HR and Administration for effective staffing and staff development. The position holder will moreover perform any other relevant duties as assigned from time to time.Qualification requirements:
The applicant must:
- Have served in the grade of Senior Research Scientist or an equivalent position in a reputable research organization for at least five (5) years
- Be in possession of a relevant PhD Degree
- Have published at least seven (7) scientific articles in peer review scientific journals as a first author
- Have demonstrated success in generating research funds for the specified area of study of not less than $ 200,000
- Have organized of at least seven (7) seminars and workshops
- Have shown exemplary administrative and leadership capabilities.
Salary and benefits attached to the position:
- Basic salary scale: 147,907-220,142; entry scale 147,907
- Outpatient medical allowance: 2,500
- Leave allowance: 15,000
- House allowance: 60,000
- Commuter allowance: 16,000
- Entertainment allowance: 8,000
- Responsibility allowance: 15,000
- Inpatient medical: The position holder will be entitled to inpatient medical benefits as per the existing inpatient medical scheme to cover him/her, the spouse and four children under the age of 25 years.
Duty station: The Director Institute of Primate Research will be based at Karen in Nairobi
Terms of service: Three (3) years renewable contract renewable once subject to performance.