Company Name: Masinde Muliro University Of Science & Technology (mmust)
Job Type: Full Time
The person appointed as the Chief Internal Auditor shall be required to hold the following qualifications; be a PhD holder in Finance, Accounting, Economics or any other related field with the first degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics; holder of the CPA(K), ACCA or CA qualification and membership to the Institute of Certified Public Accountants and Institute of Internal Auditors(IIA); at least ten (10) years working experience in finance with three(3)
years’ experience as a Senior Internal Auditor or its equivalent in a university or equivalent institution and demonstrated outstanding qualities of leadership, coordination and organizational capabilities, has a certificate in ICT with demonstrable practical experience, demonstrate outstanding qualities for leadership, coordination and organizational capabilities at top management level.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor functionally and answerable to Council, the Chief Internal Auditor will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing annual risk based internal audit plans that outline activities to be undertaken by the Internal Audit department;
- Providing leadership in the Internal Audit Department as per the approved Internal Audit Charter and Internal Audit Plan, regulatory guidelines and the Institute of Internal Auditors’ Guidelines and Standards;
- Conducting independent assessments of the University’s systems of internal control and advise the University Management Board and Council on their appropriateness and effectiveness;
- Determining the level of compliance with internal policies, procedures, statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Preparing and presenting timely audit reports to the Audit, Governance and Risk Management Committee of the Council;
- Conducting post audit reviews to assess the implementation of recommendations outlined in both external and internal audit reports;
- Liaising with external auditors on both interim and final audits in order to fully conform to the recommendations and statutory requirements;
- Supporting, guiding and agreeing with the departments on the necessary preparations with respect to the action plans required for compliance with the external auditors reports on both interim and final audits.
- Preparing, implementing and reviewing the departmental strategic plan and annual work plan;
- Preparing the department’s annual budget and procurement plan; and
- Conducting annual appraisal of members of staff in the department.